Remove inetutils from LFS [was Re: GCC-4.0.1]

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Aug 23 21:20:43 PDT 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>
>> 3) It is an optional dependency of Man-DB (to be used instead of Man
>> in the UTF-8 branch of the LFS book)
>
> Hrm? Has there been some decision there I've missed?

No decision yet, but a proposal :) UTF-8 branch of the book doesn't
exist yet, but I am working at the patch to XML sources of the book at
home. You can also see that Man-DB is already used instead of Man in
UTF-8 related branches of the Live CD.

Man requires some non-trivial configuration in UTF-8 locales (see
man-i18n hint), while Man-DB works out of the box (this is a sufficient
reason to keep Man-DB on the UTF-8 CD even if LFS doesn't accept that).

Also, Man forgets to recode its output (e.g. translations of "What
manual page do you want?") from the translator's charset to the reader's
charset. This leads to unreadable text (well, LFS passes "-lang en" and
thus doesn't have this problem by default, but it's better to pass
"+lang none" in order to avoid messages about missing translations).
Maintainer knows about the problem, but it is not going to be solved
anytime soon. On the other hand, Man-DB uses gettext instead of catgets
and thus gets this recoding for free.

Fedora, as usual, applied the patch to Man that fixes man's output for
UTF-8 users but breaks it for non-UTF-8 users. For LFS, such regression
is not acceptable.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov