GCC-4 (more nagging) :-)

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 26 23:16:25 PDT 2005

Any thoughts Matt about using GCC-4 as the default SVN build compiler?

I only ask again as last time I asked it seemed the respondents were
positive about the idea. I can't think of anyone that said it was
a bad idea. I don't consider your input as a "bad idea" as much as
a "careful consideration".

I see now that the ping/ftp/inetutils issue is sort of a non-issue
any more now that a patch was sent in which fixes inetutils.

Other than that, we have the PAM/Shadow/su issue (sorry for not
giving feedback about the -12 update yet, just update LFS and I or
DJ will get BLFS in line. Don't ever hold up LFS for something in
BLFS, unless it is a major deal) which isn't really an issue as
if you type a bad password, what is the difference between an
segfault and a message saying your password was bad? :-)

There was another issue, let's see.... oh yeah, the cfdisk issue.
Not sure about that one, I cannot duplicate it with my partition
table the way it is. But from the sounds of things, setting
optimization to 0 seemed to fix it for everyone. Am I mistaken on
this one?

I can say that BLFS is coming along great. The JDK is a biggie, but
then, that one has required a different compiler before, so it
wouldn't be the first time that the JDK required a downgraded
compiler on the system if you want to build it.

--
Randy

rmlinux: [bogomips 3923.96] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.1]
[GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.5] [Linux 2.6.12.4 i686]
01:07:00 up 8 days, 13:03, 7 users, load average: 0.16, 0.15, 0.08