GCC-4 (more nagging) :-)

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 27 22:43:30 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> Other than that, we have the PAM/Shadow/su issue (sorry for not
> giving feedback about the -12 update yet, just update LFS and I or
> DJ will get BLFS in line. Don't ever hold up LFS for something in
> BLFS, unless it is a major deal) which isn't really an issue as
> if you type a bad password, what is the difference between an
> segfault and a message saying your password was bad? :-)

3 seconds to really slow down a brute force attack.  Yeah sure, that 3
seconds is really gonna hurt...anyway, Linux_PAM-0.80 is fixed now WRT
the segfault issue with shadow's su.  shadow-4.0.12 seems to work as
expected.  I think LFS is in good shape as to gcc-4.0.1.  There is one
other patch mentioned over on Greg's DIY-Dev list that should probably
be looked at.  Take a look at the link in the patch header.  This looks
to be an icky little bug; difficult to track down if I followed
correctly, but I have not yet seen the issue first hand.

http://www.diy-linux.org/pipermail/diy-linux-dev/2005-August/000621.html

-- DJ Lucas