GCC-4 (more nagging) :-)

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 29 10:25:52 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Any thoughts Matt about using GCC-4 as the default SVN build compiler?

Apologies for the delay in responding on this - I've been away on holiday.

It seems that most folks are happy with the way GCC-4.x is holding up,
and with the inetutils patch that's one of the big bugs sorted out.
This solution also allows us to avoid having to make a decision on which
alternative `ping' implementation to put in the book, and what to do
with the FTP client :)

I reported the `cfdisk' problem upstream but haven't heard anything back
from the maintainer yet.  As was mentioned in the thread (and the
bugzilla entry), simply dropping the optimisation down from '-O2' to
'-O' stops the bug from being tickled so that looks like the most
prudent path to take at the moment.

I'll try to get around to getting the two changes in some time this
week, then we'll merge the branch into trunk probably a week after that
(just to give folks a chance to ensure there's no more problems, and
that the 'ftp' and 'cfdisk' bugs really are fixed).

Regards,

Matt.