Proposal: split "make install" in bootscripts

TheOldFellow TheOldFellow at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 01:16:26 PST 2005

Nathan Coulson wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 07:20:35 +0000, TheOldFellow <TheOldFellow at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>>
>>>It's inconvenient that "make install" for bootscripts overwrites my
>>>comfiguration files. Therefore, I propose to split this target into two:
>>>
>>>make install - installs scripts and possibly other non-configuration files
>>>make install-config - installs configuration files
>>>
>>>Of course, if this is implemented, the book has to be adjusted accordingly.
>>>

>>Brilliant idea.  Then those of us who can't stand K00sysVinit can still
>>use the configuration files!
>>
>>R.
>

> We just added
> if [ ! -f /etc/sysconfig/console ]; then install lfs/sysonfig/console
> /etc/sysconfig/console...
>
> is that sufficient?

This doesn't change anything for me.  Installing runit-based booting, I
want to install /etc/sysconfig without /etc/rc.d etc..  But it's not a
big issue.

On reflection, I should probably make my own package of initialisation
scripts, rather than rely on the regular LFS scripts which are heavily
influenced by design to get round the problems of sysVinit that I don't
have - like start and stop in the same script.

Richard.

PS. I hope 'sysonfig' is a typo in the mail, not the script :-)