the /usr/src/linux symlink

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue Jan 4 04:03:58 PST 2005

Jeremy Utley wrote:
> However, given the frequency that this problem crops up, a note in
> the book might be warranted, explaining the situation and why it's
> incorrect.
>
> Just looking for comments from the community, as the developer staff
> is of mixed opinions on this.

I'd like to see some explanation in the book also.  I know the symlink
is totally unnecessary -- and I was bitten by the cdrecord breakage,
back when I had the symlink pointing to 2.6.1-rc1, before I started
building kernels in my home directory -- but it'd be nice if we can come
up with some reasons it's wrong.  It'd be better if we included links to
LKML archives, if anyone knows of any relevant threads (or is good at
Googling for that kind of thing).

I looked once or twice, and eventually found two or three posts which I
bookmarked.  But I've since upgraded Firefox and had it import the wrong
profile (after which I destroyed all the old profiles before realizing
it got the wrong one... d'oh!), so those bookmarks are gone.  :-(