Formatting of bootscripts

David Jensen djensen at inebraska.com
Tue Jan 4 09:27:18 PST 2005

Jeremy Utley wrote:
> For me, I'm in favor of remaining as tabs:  1)  as said previously, it
> allows someone to decide for themselves how things should look, and 2)
> the fact that a tab character in a text file is only one byte, while
> spaces are multiple bytes.
>
> -J-

I remember pkzip packed smaller with spaces even though the file is larger.
This seems true also with gzip and bzip2.  I only tried one 15k source file
with tab4 and the same with the tabs as spaces.

fwiw here is what I use when the source is a messed up mix of both:

#!/bin/sh
# tab_to_space number file
SPACES=""
for ((a=0; a<$1; a++))