Proposal: ditch pre-made "console" and "network" scripts

Steve Crosby fost at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 5 15:39:29 PST 2005

Bryan Kadzban <bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net> wrote in
news:20050105175548.GA22883 at kadzban.is-a-geek.net:

> On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 06:51:18PM +0500, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>> I admit that forcing the reader to write his own network script
>> instead of a pre-made one is more educational
>
> I don't think I agree with that.  Either way, the user is going to
> have to know or learn how their local network is set up.  Either way,
> they're going to have to figure out their DHCP daemon's options (if
> applicable). Either way, they'll have to set up PPPoE (if applicable).
>  The only thing that forcing them to write an entire script is going
> to teach, is how to write an entire script.  Which they should know
> already, at least with

<snip>

agreed - the LFS network bootscripts should provide a configuration that
supports static IP addresses, and the user can extend them as required.
Thats said, I'm not adverse to having the LFS network bootscripts be
extensible to support methods other than static (which they are now).
Perhaps a README in the sysconfig\network-devices directory explaining
how the bootscripts operate (logically) would be sufficient.

> Maybe change the admonition to something saying, in effect, "go ahead
> and ask if you need to, but if your question shows the wrong kind of
> ignorance, you may be ignored -- we have better things to do than
> teach you stuff you should already know".  Obviously not in those
> words (but I can't come up with any good way of putting it, either).

hmm...

Currently internationalisation (known as i18n) is not supported in LFS,
due to the complex nature of the necessary infrastructure. Some pointers
to documentation on cofiguring i18n are shown above, and your host
distribution may have some configuration information you can copy.

Please note that the LFS support forums have limited resources to assist
you with i18n questions, and as such you should have already exhausted
all other support forums and read the appropriate documentation before
approaching them with questions.

- --
Steve Crosby