Proposal: ditch pre-made "console" and "network" scripts

Steve Crosby fost at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 6 00:55:36 PST 2005

"Alexander E. Patrakov" <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote in
news:crih3t$bgn$1 at belgarath.linuxfromscratch.org:

> Steve Crosby wrote:
>
>> hmm...
>>
>> Currently internationalisation (known as i18n) is not supported in
>> LFS, due to the complex nature of the necessary infrastructure. Some
>> pointers to documentation on cofiguring i18n are shown above, and
>> your host distribution may have some configuration information you
>> can copy.
>>
>> Please note that the LFS support forums have limited resources to
>> assist you with i18n questions, and as such you should have already
>> exhausted all other support forums and read the appropriate
>> documentation before approaching them with questions.
>
> Could you please reword that? "s/not supported/???/", "s/due to.*
> infrastructure/???/"

good point: an example of some new wording of the first paragraph is
below. I'd rather not go into detail re: UTF-8, double-bytes, etc. since
I don't fully understand the issues myself. (I install all packages with
disable-nls or equivalents anyway).

Although the LFS book currently installs packages that provide support
for internationalisation (known as i18n), LFS does not provide
instructions on how to configure your system to use these features.  Some
pointers to documentation on configuring i18n are shown above, and your
host distribution may have some configuration information you can use.

- --
Steve Crosby