Bug noticed on IRC

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Fri Jan 7 10:24:15 PST 2005

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

>SuSE 9.1 probably has a strange useradd command
>
>[18:35] <brudders> I am running suse 9.1 as host
>[18:35] <brudders> just using command
>[18:36] <brudders> useradd -s /bin/bash -g lfs -m -k /dev/null lfs
>[18:36] <brudders> and get error message
>[18:36] <brudders> useradd: Copying of skel directory failed
>[18:36] <brudders> can anyone point me in the right direction
>[18:36] <patrakov> drop "-k /dev/null"
>[18:36] <patrakov> and then make sure that the /home/lfs directory is empty
>
>Can anyone confirm or disprove this and adjust the instructions in the book
>accordingly if necessary?

The actual user should have still been created properly in this case.
It comes about because of the use of the -k parameter, which normally
specifies the "skeleton" directory to use when creating the user's home
directory.  We use -k /dev/null because we don't want to use any type of
skeleton directory for the LFS user - to avoid special settings in the
host getting into the lfs user's env.  However, this should not have
prevented the actual creation of the user account.

-J-