Bug noticed on IRC

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 7 11:03:47 PST 2005

Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 06:43:00PM +0500, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>
>>[18:36] <patrakov> drop "-k /dev/null"
>>[18:36] <patrakov> and then make sure that the /home/lfs directory is empty
>

> I've never used SuSE (any version), but if that is the case, we can drop
> -k /dev/null from the command and do this afterward to clean out the
> home directory:
>
> rm -r /home/lfs/*
> rm -r /home/lfs/.[^.]*
> rm -r /home/lfs/..?*

Why not just:

rm -r /home/lfs
mkdir /home/lfs

Even easier would be to not specify the '-m' option to useradd (i.e.
don't have it create the /home/lfs directory), and then do a 'mkdir
/home/lfs' ourselves.  So it would become:

useradd -s /bin/bash -g lfs lfs
mkdir /home/lfs

It still baffles me that the original command failed though.  Maybe SuSE
is on a really old version of shadow that doesn't support '-k' properly.
  Until someone confirms that this problem actually exists though, I'm
unwilling to change the instructions just yet.

Regards,

Matt.