Simplifying the LFS Bootscripts

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 8 15:50:31 PST 2005

Nathan Coulson wrote:
> on lfs-support, some people want to simplify the lfs bootscripts.

While I can understand their frustrations to a point, it's like saying
that they don't understand the C code used by all of the packages we
install in the book.  There is a difference between being able to
understand the low-level implementation details of a package, and being
able to easily customise/configure its behaviour.

IMNSHO we should be aiming for the latter first, so people can get their
systems running the way they want them to, as easily as possible.  The
bootscripts themselves, like any other code, should of course be easily
maintainable.  However, if folks want to alter the *functionality*
provided by the bootscripts, is it unreasonable for us to expect they
have a decent level of knowledge of shell scripting before attempting
such a project?

In order to be able to address folks concerns, we first need to
understand exactly what it is that they want the bootscripts to do that
is either a) not obvious how to achieve or b) is not achievable at all.
  Once we know what functionality it is we have to provide, then all
that remains is to provide said functionality in the simplest way
possible, but no simpler (to paraphrase Einstein).

Maybe I've just re-iterated everything that's been said before.  If so I
apologize.  Basically, though, it comes down to can the bootscripts be
simplified much/at all without loss of required functionality?

Regards,

Matt.