DNS aliases

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Sat Jan 8 17:55:28 PST 2005

Archaic wrote:

>On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 07:36:42PM -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>

>>Not having worked with DNS lately, and knowing how it's been done
>>in the past (for other domains, not just LFS), isn't a www alias
>>created just as a matter of backwards compatibility?
>>

>www will be round-robin'ed. Homepages, however, will only exist on
>belgarath.

Exactly.  So, when the RR-DNS is implemented, you can't be assured that
the hostname "www.linuxfromscratch.org" will actually contain the user's
home directories.  So, we use just linuxfromscratch.org, which will
NEVER be RR-DNS'd, so that hostname will always point to belgarath.
www2 will perform the same thing, and allow someone to bypass the RR-DNS.

-J-