Proposal: ditch pre-made "console" and "network" scripts

Steve Crosby fost at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 9 00:31:54 PST 2005

"Alexander E. Patrakov" <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote in
news:crj75a$pmf$1 at belgarath.linuxfromscratch.org:

> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>
>> Steve Crosby wrote:
>>
>>> Although the LFS book currently installs packages that provide
>>> support for internationalisation (known as i18n), LFS does not
>>> provide instructions on how to configure your system to use these
>>> features.  Some pointers to documentation on configuring i18n are
>>> shown above, and your host distribution may have some configuration
>>> information you can use.
>>
>> Again inexact. Instead of "LFS does not provide instructions on how
>> to configure your system to use these features", I'd rather see (but
>> please make it more compact):
>>
>> "LFS provides only generic recommendations on how to configure your
>> system to use these features (i.e. it tells you to set some keyboard
>> layout, some screen font, and some locale-related environment
>> variables). Exact values of these parameters for your country are
>> most likely unknown to the editors, and if you ask on the lfs-support
>> list, chances are high that you will receive a wrong answer. Such
>> settings, and your country-specific quirks, if any, are really
>> supposed to be already known to you."
>>
>> (BTW for Russia, no quirks are needed)
>
> Forgot to say that I think it's important to mention that "LFS
> supports no more and hopefully no less than packages built properly
> from pristine upstream sources" (that's why no UTF-8).

been away for a bit - try the following:

------------------

Although the LFS book currently installs packages that provide support
for internationalisation (known as i18n), LFS only provides basic
configururation to use these features (e.g. keyboard mapping, screen
font, env variables). The LFS team are unable to provide exact values for
these features for everyone, and no support at all for extensions such as
UTF-8 that other distributions may provide as add-on features to the
original upstream packages that LFS uses.

You should not ask for assistance with this configuration on the LFS
support forums, as you are likely to get either incorrect answers, or no
answers at all. You are expected to already be aware of what parameters
are needed for i18n support for your specific needs. However, some
pointers to documentation on configuring i18n are shown above, and your
host distribution may have some configuration information you can use.

- --
Steve Crosby