Problem with Expect, BOOK-6.1-testing-20050105

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 9 05:38:54 PST 2005

Jens Olav Nygaard wrote:

>> Any ideas?! Except trying to dig out the proper tcl848,
>> which I'm now trying to do...
>

> Just to update my own mail... Found 848 but to no avail...
> To clarify, I run these commands as 'lfs':
 >
>   time make -j 2

After doing this, try a 'make check' to test your tcl package works
correctly.

> And:
>
>   expect -c "spawn ls"
>   Segmentation fault

But 'expect' isn't installed by the tcl package.  You did keep your tcl
source directory around during the installation of 'expect' on the next
page of the book, didn't you?  (there's a big note on the tcl page
telling you to do just that).

Anyway, to try and figure out exactly why 'expect' is segfaulting you
can try installing 'strace' or 'gdb' on your host, and run
/tools/bin/expect through them.

This really is a support issue until we've verified there is a fault in
the book instructions, so should have gone to lfs-support first.

Regards,

Matt.