Simplifying the LFS Bootscripts

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Mon Jan 10 01:43:42 PST 2005

Archaic wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 12:25:24AM +0000, Ian Molton wrote:
>
>>I dont follow. what I proposed (and is currently the case) is a script
>>(or pair of scripts) to read and process a set of configuration files
>>(multiple) in a given directory.
>
> Again, that is what I was saying. script foo has the up/down functions.
> It reads bar{1,2,3,4...} which hold the parameters for IP, prefix,
> device, etc. for each give interface.

This is NOT what alexander is proposing though.

>>ideally, we need the scripts to:
>>
>>1) Configure interface addresses and parameters.
>>2) Configure routing / firewalling.
>>3) bring up all ONBOOT interfaces.
>>
>>In that order.
>
> See above about the fine-grained control of firewalls. They should be
> after the interface is up.

Why? Nothing against a flat deny-all policy being set, but theres no
reason to move firewall setup after interface setup.

> You worry too much about PEBKAC. It has always existed and will always
> exist. :)

Given you accept its inevitability, surely you must accept the need to
minimise the possibility of its happening?

>>You do that by centralising common code and breaking it up into neat
>>modules. not by duplicating it abdly in multiple similar files.
>
> Declaring the same variable name with different values in different
> files is going to be necessary.

Of course it is. why wouldnt it be?

 > It *is* modular.

I think the current way is better.

>>If someone cant follow the network bootscripts they shouldnt BE writing
>>bootscripts.
>
> We aren't asking the readers to write the bootscripts, so this statement
> seems irrelevant.

if we dont expect the reader to write the bootscripts, why are we
dumbing them down?