Simplifying the LFS Bootscripts

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 10 07:11:20 PST 2005

Nathan Coulson wrote:
<snip>

I don't think anything needs to be changed in the scripts.  What i think
we really need is good doco on the scripts themselves and how everything
works.  We do a good start in the LFS book today.  We should either beef
up the readme and point people to it in the book, or beef up the book
with more content on createfles and the network services piece.  I like
the way the thing work today because all dynamic information is in
config files and the scripts utilize that information.  I do not agree
that users should have to manually edit a script file to change
something that a config file should be doing.  If a user wants added
functionality, that is different - edit away.  LFS should educate, not
hand hold.  If you dumb down the scripts, you are doing a disservice to
the community.

My $0.02

James