Problem with Expect, BOOK-6.1-testing-20050105

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 11 20:09:33 PST 2005

Jens Olav Nygaard wrote:
> Sorry for the noise... But I think I found the problem: Must build
> Expect inside the Tcl-directory. Making the softlink made it compile
> and install, but apparently with bogus results.
> When done from inside it works as it should, it seems, so far...
>
> Conclusion: Maybe this should be mentioned in the book, in the
> chapter for building expect, chapter 5.10.

I also encountered some trouble with Expect when building the current
testing branch. The problem is that --with-tcl doesn't work anymore to
locate the tcl source directory. Looking briefly through expect's
configure script it looks like it *should* find it, but it's not.  I
found a temporary solution, adding this line to the configure script:

--with-tclinclude=../tcl8.4.9

Don't have time to verify right at the moment what the real cause for
the failure is yet, just wanted to confirm this with anyone else that
encountered the problem.

--
Jeremy Huntwork