Next generation of LFS LiveCD

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Sat Jan 22 00:13:54 PST 2005

Archaic wrote:

>On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 11:43:54PM -0400, Grant Leslie wrote:
>

>>I "think" it was related to HID support in the kernel maybe? There was no
>>/dev/input/mouse0 created by udev.
>>

>Isn't the standard name "/dev/input/mice" ?

Actually...  /dev/input/mice is a conglomeration of signals from all
input devices - but each mouse-type device should also be
/dev/input/mouse#.  For example, on my laptop, I have both the synaptics
touchpad built in, and an external USB mouse.  I have /dev/input/mouse0
and /dev/input/mouse1, and signals from both of them will appear on
/dev/input/mice (and in 2.6, also be transmitted over /dev/psaux).  It
makes it VERY convenient, because you can point X at /dev/input/mice,
and get the data from either mouse connected.

-J-