Next generation of LFS LiveCD

William Harrington kb0iic at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 22 08:43:32 PST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:19:29 -0500, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> William Harrington wrote:
>> I would definitely like to be able to use the CD
>> on my machine which uses an SATA cdrom drive.
>> I can never use the current one cause it can't
>> mount the root device. It does find the sata HD's
>> just fine though. I've used the CD with the
>> motherboard in enhanced and compatible mode, but
>> either way, the way the SATA CD is detected, it
>> won't work.  It would help out tremendously to
>> get it to work with my all SATA system.
>
> Noted. As I said earlier, I intend to support as much hardware as I can
> compile. :)
>
>> Keep up the good work
>
> Thanks.

Oh yeah, found more information on my problem.  Apparently it all works
fine and SATA isn't including optical drive support yet.  Gonna try the
latest 2.6.11-rc2 and see what I get.  Apparently some kinda optical
access has been introduced to the driver.  So I think that if I ever want
to use a livecd with an optical drive, it either needs to be on a real
scsi controller, or parallel device.  *sighs*

So uhm, disregard my remark about adding support for SATA cd/dvd devices.

Back to debugging!