Next generation of LFS LiveCD

William Harrington kb0iic at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 22 21:51:35 PST 2005

Ok done debugging....

Found the right configuration that lets me use my SATA optical device.

I can use up to 2.6.10 with the old sata driver, not the sata driver in
the scsi section. The 2.6.11-rc2 kernel I was testing would not recognize
the sata optical device even when using the old deprecated sata driver.

I had to set my motherboard to compatable mode and the 2.6.10 kernel
with the deprecated sata driver detected all the drives.  I hate mixing
and matching kernels, options, and bios options to get stuff to work
right, but that is the configuration that worked for me. Still not sure
why the scsi sata driver won't load scsi disk devices when it is compiled
into the kernel... ah well... gotta deal with what ya have at the moment.
Unless the kernel changes soon so that cdrom devices will be loaded into
the kernel with the scsi sata driver, those of us with sata optical
devices will be left in the dust if the old sata driver isn't in the
livecd. Maybe it is just an Asus P4C800-E Dlx ICH5 problem.

Can't wait for the next LiveCD!