binutils deps

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 24 17:25:39 PST 2005

On January 24, 2005 07:42 pm, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > Robert Connolly wrote:
> >> Hello. In 6.0/6.1-testing it says:
> >> Binutils installation depends on: Bash, Coreutils, Diffutils, GCC,
> >> Gettext, Glibc, Grep, Make, Perl, Sed, and Texinfo
> >>
> >> But HJL Binutils also depends on m4, bison, and flex.
> >
> > IIRC, LFS doesn't use HJL Binutils.
> >  -- Bruce
>
> Actually, starting with LFS 6.0, we are using the HJL binutils, because
> it passes testsuites while stock 2.15 doesn't.
>
> -J-

FSF was under a lot of pressure to release 2.15, and it wasn't really
finished. They released it too early, or maybe too late. They did it at a
time when toolchain features were changing in both gcc and glibc. I expect
2.16 to be more usable, but I don't expect it until after gcc4 (autumn/winter
2005). FSF Binutils is generally better for us, it gets a better audit than
HJL's, but 2.15 is an exception.

But anyway, I've had a couple people show me build errors with binutils-pass1
because they didn't have bison installed on their host. It would be prudent
to add m4/bison/flex to the deps list.

robert