binutils deps

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Mon Jan 24 17:42:14 PST 2005

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Um, OK Jeremy.  I believe you, but how does one figure that out from
> the book?  I looked in section 3.2 and that sends me to freshmeat.  I
> don't see any indication there that the version is HJL binutils.  I
> also don't see any indications of the version in sections 5.4 or 6.13
> (not that I would expect it).
>
>  -- Bruce

HJL's binutils version numbers use 5 (i.e. 2.15.94.0.2)parts, while FSF
binutils is always 2 or 3 parts (2.15.x max).  Also, the link in the
book points to the freshmeat page for the "Beta Branch" of binutils,
which is HJL's code - tracking the HEAD of binutils cvs.  The
differences aren't actually that wide - HJL tracks CVS HEAD closer, and
has some linux-specific stuff that wouldn't be valid on other platforms.

-J-