Explaining diff HJL <=>FSF binutils (WAS: RE: binutils deps)

Gueven Bay guevenbay at web.de
Tue Jan 25 04:14:36 PST 2005

Hello,

Can someone explain the differences between HJL and FSF binutils, please?

Is the difference only on the "quality management" (seen on the version number)
or are there any functional differences?
Why was there a fork (or a seperate development) of such a important packet?
Who(or what) is HJL?

I looked at the freshmeat and the gnu project pages, but I didn't see some
explanation there.

Thanks.

Regards
Gueven Bay