Explaining diff HJL <=>FSF binutils (WAS: RE: binutils deps)

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue Jan 25 09:38:38 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 01:14:36PM +0100, Gueven Bay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can someone explain the differences between HJL and FSF binutils, please?

Already done.  ;-)

The PLFS hint that Greg and Ryan wrote (which is no longer applicable to
LFS 5.0 or above; it was integrated into the book at LFS 4.0 or 5.0) had
some remarks on the differences:

http://lfs.osuosl.org/hints/downloads/files/OLD/pure_lfs.txt

The comparison is near the end.

> Why was there a fork (or a seperate development) of such a important packet?

Probably so that users would have a version that more closely follows
binutils CVS HEAD (it's not truly a fork, since they both come from the
same CVS codebase).  But I wasn't around when HJL started providing this
package, so I don't know the reason for sure.

> Who (or what) is HJL?

H. J. Lu.  He's been hacking Linux for quite some time, though I can't
think of anything else that he's done offhand.