anduin.linuxfromscratch.org - RFC

Justin Knierim lfs at jrknierim.de
Tue Jan 25 13:29:28 PST 2005

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> The BLFS Editors are in the process of constructing a new Web/FTP
> server to host LFS/BLFS source code.

Hello, this is Justin Knierim, the current ftp maintainer.  Sounds like
a good idea, we can sure use some more help with hosting packages.

>   Right now the organization of the site is quite crude
> (non-existent).  We are looking for suggestions about how to set it up.

The current ftp structure worked well for lfs, but because blfs has
quite a few more packages, it might not be optional.  We setup a
/conglomeration/<package name> directory with symlinks going to
directories for 5.1.1, 6.0, testing and unstable.  If you are not
keeping older versions of the book, then this work in maintaining
symlinks might not be worth it.  Just throwing out my info on how it is
done now.

> It's an open question whether we put the books themselves on the site
> because they are really mirrored fairly well right now.

true.

> The BLFS book probably should not point to this site for the
> individual packages, but we are planning to put in a section saying
> that the site is available, but the references to the original sources
> are in the book for researching different versions of the packages.

Sounds reasonable.  That is why the ftp mirrors are not directly
referenced in the book, since before we had only a few servers and not
too much bandwidth.  It has changed a bit in the last year or so, and so
we could more directly reference the ftp servers.

Please let me know how I could continue to be a part of the ftp
project.  I could help coordinate rsync times or do some other
administrative tasks.

Thanks.

--
Justin R. Knierim