livecd make failed

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 26 04:10:43 PST 2005

Thomas Beneke wrote:

> I got the following error messages during make.
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/work/cc/livecd'
>
> =====> Making Uname Module
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.10'
> scripts/Makefile.build:13: /lfs/lfs-livecd/uname/Makefile: No such file
> or directory
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/lfs/lfs-livecd/uname/Makefile'.
> Stop. make[2]: *** [_module_/lfs/lfs-livecd/uname] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.10'
> make[1]: *** [unamemod] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/work/cc/livecd'
> make: *** [lfs-base] Error 2

Heh. Are you trying to use my makefile scripts? :) Be warned that they
aren't finished yet (though they're getting close) and they won't produce a
cd iso.  Right now they'll just produce a lfs system (minus a kernel) and
several BLFS packages.

As far as your error goes, either you don't have the working environment set
up correctly, or you're calling make incorrectly. My makefiles are
dependent on several things (not all of which have I put in the README
yet):

1. Compiled linux sources located (or symlinked) at /usr/src/linux - the
same version as the target host, which you appear to have.

2. The Makefile root dir, lfs-livecd should be moved to the top of your lfs
partition, so if you've got that set up to be /mnt/lfs, lfs-livecd should
be /mnt/lfs/lfs-livecd - This is so that dir can be accessed in chroot.

3. All targets should be invoked from the lfs-livecd directory. (If you've
checked out the repo into a directory of a different name, you should
change the ROOT variable in the top Makefile to reflect that, leaving the
beginning / in place.) So if you want to build just the uname module, from
lfs-livecd you would run 'make unamemod' - Otherwise, to make it work from
inside the uname directory, you'd have to run 'make -C /usr/src/linux
SUBDIRS=$PWD modules'

Sorry for not having this all spelled out in the README - I didn't think
anyone would actually start using it until I said it was ready ;) Once I
get it all working, I will be going back and making it a bit more user
friendly.

As a side note, there is a livecd mailing list, too,
livecd at linuxfromscratch.org, so that's a more appropriate place for these
kind of questions. :)

HTH

--