[ANNOUNCE]: Pre-Release of new livecd

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 29 08:10:09 PST 2005

Hey Everyone:

Ok. Heads up, this is bound to be a long post.

First of all a new iso is available for testing - this is *very much* a
pre-release. There are several things that I know need adjusting with it,
and a few other features and packages I have in mind to add.  But I'm
releasing this now so that you all can have a peek at it and make any
suggestions or comments.

Here is the new iso:

ftp://ftp.lfs-matrix.de/pub/lfs-livecd/livecd-6.0.9-20050128-pre1.iso

Robert and Roel, can you guys grab this iso and its md5sum and place them on
your mirrors as well, please?

Now ;) if you're going to make any comments/suggestions on this iso, please
have a look here first, to see if I already have it noted in my TODO:

http://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/TODO?root=livecd&view=markup

Secondly, one new thing about this version of the cd, is that I have it
entirely scripted via Makefiles - from a blank partition to a finished iso.
I'm hoping that this will help me to easily make adjustments to the cd
and/or correct major bugs. I'm also hoping it will allow others to jump in
and give me a hand on this project. I am aware that there are likely to be
many improvements to be made with the makefiles (perhaps even to the point
of an entire re-write) but hopefully, as I work on documenting them now, it
will allow others to see the steps I take to build a cd and offer
suggestions.

With that said, if you'd like to look at the Makefiles and/or use them:

svn co svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/trunk lfs-livecd

Keep in mind that these are still very much under development, and until I
actually release a version, they're likely to be broken at any given time,
though they have successfully built an iso for me several times.

Thirdly, I'd like some help/suggestions on versioning - I'll have both the
isos and the Makefiles to version now and any suggestions on the best way
to do that will be helpful. Matt Burgess already suggested
major-minor-patch numbers and that seems wise - the livecd will also always
follow a particular LFS version as a base, too, though so it might be wise
to include that in the version. The current iso reflects that in that it
has 6.0.9 indicating a pre-release of LFS 6.1.  However, the Makefiles
introduce a new entity and I'd like those to be properly versioned, and
perhaps have the cd relflect those. Ideas?

And finally, there is one known issue with the current iso that I can't seem
to track down.  Whenever I bring up my network on the cd, logins on the
terminals hang.  I can login in multiple terminals just fine before I bring
up the network, but once the network is up, I can't login.  Current
terminals continue to work, but logins fail.  Then, if I take down the
network, I can login again.  Sound like a problem with shadow, or iproute2?
The same issue occurs on various network cards and regardless of whether I
use dhcpcd or a static ip.

Just today I made some changes to the makefiles to reflect updates to the
testing branch, which included a change to shadow, so if that's the
problem, this may be fixed in the next iso.

[cheese]
I'm hoping that with this new setup (ie, the repository, the ml, and the
makefiles) a new era is born for LFS livecds, but it all depends on you
guys. ;)
[end cheese]

p.s.: I forgot to mention that I will be tarring up the kernel source I used
and making it available online in the future, too - if that's useful to
anyone...

--
Jeremy Huntwork