[ANNOUNCE]: Pre-Release of new livecd

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 29 11:16:11 PST 2005

Archaic wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:10:09AM -0500, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>
>>Thirdly, I'd like some help/suggestions on versioning - I'll have both the
>

> livecd-lfsversion-cdversion.iso.bz2
>
> where lfsversion is either a date (testing) or the release number *that
> the cd uses*
>
> and where version is simply 1, 2, 3. I don't see a specific need for
> fancy numbering in this case.
>
> ex: livecd-20050129-1.iso.bz2
> or
>     livecd-6.1-1.iso.bz2

That is what I was going to suggest.  This is how I version the docs for
nALFS.  That way you always know what base the cd is on and then a
version of the cd based on that base.  If you follow testing as your
base, I would figure that your version would rarely go above 2 or 3.  If
you follow stable as your base, then you could easily get your cd
version well above 10, so maybe leading zeros would be in order for
sorting.  I also do a major.minor construct on the books.  You could go
that route too to show a minor change or something.

James