dynamic network scripts

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 30 12:10:59 PST 2005

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> Run "iwlist wlan0 scan" to see if my home ESSID shows up.

Well, obviously 'iwlist' isn't installed on stock LFS boxes, so this
script will fail on a by-the-book install (although I suppose a 'type
iwlist' could detect its presence/absence).

Seeing as we don't install wireless userspace utilities I don't see why
the LFS bootscripts should handle configuring anything that depends on
them.  What about having whatever it is that contains instructions on
how to install 'iwlist' (be that BLFS or a hint) provide a suitable
bootscript and tell folks where it needs to fit in with the current boot
order?

Of course, all this needs to be seen in the context of coming from a
wired network bigot :)

Cheers,

Matt.