User IDs and Group IDs

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Nov 24 05:47:49 PST 2005

Matthew Burgess wrote:

> If folks are happy enough having a mismatched version of kernel vs.
> userspace headers I'm more than willing to upgrade the kernel just so
> we can get all this udev mess behind us.

Note that after the first time the user upgrades his kernel (e.g. for
security reasons), he will end up with mismatched versions. It is not
bad. IMHO, it is even educational and fool-proof to have mismatched
versions, so that folks don't attempt to upgrade the headers together
with the kernel.

As for the udev non-mess, upgrading to 2.6.14 without patches won't help.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov