Post LFS-6.1.1 plans

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 24 19:35:56 PST 2005

DJ Lucas wrote:
> Well, I'd personally like to know how our current build order took
> shape!  Unfortunately, the answer to this question lies scattered deep

It's quite straight-forward and simple. This goes back to when I started
LFS in the pre-1.0 days.

I basically started with a package, I think Bash. Tried to compile it.
The configure script didn't run because it's of course missing all kinds
of executables, so I add those until the configure script ran.

This gave me a list that to install Bash, I needed packages like GCC,
findutils, textutils, sh-utils, fileutils (those latter three are
nowadays in coreutils)

Then I tried to put things in alphabetical order as much as I could. It
didn't matter if sh-utils or fileutils was installed first, so fileutils
came first.

That's how the process went until years later we arrive at our current
build system. The packages out of alphabetical order are in that
position to satisfy dependencies of other packages.