More control...hint integration discussion

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 28 11:48:05 PST 2005

Alexander Lang wrote:
> I have another idea (maybe it exists already, maybe not):
> I recently discovered uninonfs
> (http://www.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/project-unionfs.html) and it seems to me,
> that it could be used for our purpose, allowing the instructions to
> remain as they are now:

Despite it's popularity, unionfs is a buggy filesystem with a buggy
history. Only certain recent versions are generally usable, it seems
(especially as you write to the unionfs multiple times). You *can* get
it working in a stable manner, as we've done with the LiveCD, but I
wouldn't suggest this type of use - especially for those who have had no
previous experience with LFS or unionfs.

--
JH