More control...hint integration discussion

Tushar Teredesai sukucorp at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 12:38:58 PST 2005

On 11/29/05, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, if the book's main intent IS to be a learning experience and
> provide a high level of success for newbies, I think adding that
> fakeroot approach adds too much complexity and chances for errors.  To
> see an example of what the fakeroot approach looks like in one of its
> worst cases, consider coreutils or readline:
>
> http://www.diy-linux.org/x86-reference-build/chroot.html#c-coreutils
> http://www.diy-linux.org/x86-reference-build/chroot.html#c-readline

The only difference I see as compared to what is in LFS is the
addition of $PM_DEST. If the envar is not set. I don't think it
creates any chances for typos. In the worst case if the user forgets
to set $PM_DEST, it would install stuff into / which is how LFS does
it anyways.

> other hand, I plan on using it in conjunction with package management.

Yep, I do that. And frankly I found the fake root approach awesome and
understand why most of the distros use it.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org