More control...hint integration discussion

Tushar Teredesai sukucorp at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 20:12:50 PST 2005

On 11/30/05, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> >
> > It will work for Ch 6 only as long as we are installing it inside
> > chroot. But I meant more in terms of using it for package management.
> > The above technique gave me the following problems:
> > 1. When reinstalling glibc, it would not log some header files (I
> > think stubs.h). Ditto for some man pages from other packages.
>
> This means that they were not re-installed...else the timestamp on the
> file would have been updated.

Exactly. Some times headers are not installed if the destination file
exists. I think I saw this in glibc, ncurses, and gdbm. Same thing for
some symlinks. After a while it got too tiresome to keep double
checking the log trying to weed out the false postives and accounting
for false negatives.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org