Cross LFS

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 1 14:49:17 PDT 2005

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Jim Gifford wrote:

> Manuel and LFS-dev,
>    I have been thinking about this for a few days. Cross-LFS has two
> different options in it, boot and chroot. Boot is a complete reboot and
> chroot is like the standard LFS book. Talking with various people, an idea
> popped into my mind. Having two separate books, Cross-LFS with the
> cross-tools and boot section and a version of the old Multi-Arch LFS book
> which would have the cross-tools section remove and utilizing the chroot
> section.

  Actually, to get to x86_64 from x86 I take a slightly different path -
cross-compile from x86, cross-compile a non-modular kernel [ because the
x86 modutils are going to be used ], reboot to the new kernel (64-bit
kernel, i686 userspace) and then chroot.

> The only downfall I see of this idea, is the book rendering issues. Is it
> possible just to render the complete book as it is now, and then make new
> index pages with the sections listed as above?

  There is a slight difficulty with starting at binutils in Contructing a
Temporary System - we only build binutils and gcc once and we don't
build glibc at all ;)  Realistically, the multi-arch book would need
sections added.  Also, we're using ${LFS_TARGET}-gcc and friends - it
doesn't feel right to specify LFS_TARGET in a native build, and there
are config.cache things that are only needed in a cross-compile.

> What type of modifications would we need to do accomplish this?
>
> Would LFS benefit from this? (I say yes)
>
> Please express your thoughts and even pose questions.

  I'm all in favour of extending the platforms that people can reliably
use for LFS, but I don't see tangible gains - as I read your proposal,
there would be two books with a common source. Users might be attracted
by not having to cross-compile, but equally they might think that issues
in "cross-lfs" were unrelated to their "multi-arch lfs".

  I'm also a little worried that rendering the book will become unwieldy.
It already strains my patience ;)

Ken