Time to remove CFLAGS note from glibc?

Tushar Teredesai sukucorp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 22:30:30 PDT 2005

Hola:

I have been building glibc for ages now with CFLAGS=CXXFLAGS="-Os
-march=i686 -mtune=i686 -pipe -w" for ages now without any problems.
Is it time to remove the obsolete note about unsetting CFLAGS and
CXXFLAGS from the glibc instructions?

BTW, Greg S. has the following quote in his book: " The warning in
current LFS about unsetting CFLAGS and not overriding the default
optimization for Glibc is a crock. Glibc is EXACTLY the kind of
package that should be optimized - Refer Golden Rule No. 2 in Section
B, Glibc General Advice. The warning in LFS dates back to times when
clues were scarce and tools weren't as good."

PS: Note that I am not suggesting that the book should add optimization flags.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org