Time to remove CFLAGS note from glibc?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 09:50:51 PDT 2005

On 10/5/05, Tushar Teredesai <sukucorp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hola:
>
> I have been building glibc for ages now with CFLAGS=CXXFLAGS="-Os
> -march=i686 -mtune=i686 -pipe -w" for ages now without any problems.

Just built 2.3.5 with -O3 -march=i686 -pipe and all the tests passed.
Didn't like it when I set -march=pentium3.  BTW, you don't need to
specify -mtune if you have -march because it is implied from -march.
>From the gcc manual
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.0.2/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html

-march=cpu-type
    Generate instructions for the machine type cpu-type. The choices
for cpu-type are the same as for -mtune. Moreover, specifying
-march=cpu-type implies -mtune=cpu-type.

Dan