Time to remove CFLAGS note from glibc?

Tushar Teredesai sukucorp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 09:57:00 PDT 2005

On 10/6/05, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/5/05, Tushar Teredesai <sukucorp at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have been building glibc for ages now with CFLAGS=CXXFLAGS="-Os
> > -march=i686 -mtune=i686 -pipe -w" for ages now without any problems.
>
> Just built 2.3.5 with -O3 -march=i686 -pipe and all the tests passed.
> Didn't like it when I set -march=pentium3.  BTW, you don't need to
> specify -mtune if you have -march because it is implied from -march.
> From the gcc manual
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.0.2/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html

Yep, I know. I keep it in my CFLAGS in case some obscure package has a
-mcpu/-mtune/-m?86 in its default flags in which case the option in my
CFLAGS will override it.

Anyways, the point of my thread is not to decide which flags are ok
for glibc but that the warning in the book should be removed. It could
probably be reworded to state that -march options may cause problems.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org