glibc bug in LFS-6.1 and its nALFS profile

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 6 10:44:20 PDT 2005

Steve Prior wrote:
> I'd rather not have the different LFS subprojects
> all pointing fingers at each other saying that it should get fixed there
> first

I don't think anyone's pointing fingers.  However, it should be noted
that this bug is already fixed in the development version of LFS (i.e.
what will become LFS-6.2) by way of having upgraded to glibc-2.3.5.  Or
at least my understanding is that glibc-2.3.5 is not affected.

I would agree though, that bugs like this are particularly frustrating
to users and developers alike.  Alas, I don't have any quick fix which
will allow us to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future
(if I did, I'd sell it to every software house in the world and retire
very happy!).

I've not yet given any thought to the timing of the next LFS release
either, so I can't say when an official version will have the fix in it.
  The best we can do at the moment is issue an errata for this.

As for the Right Thing To Do for the livecd, I think that the general
rule should be to follow the book wherever possible, but deal with any
and all errata as they become known.  Otherwise, we're effectively
giving folks a known broken/insecure install by default.

Regards,

Matt.