Time to remove CFLAGS note from glibc?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:51:51 PDT 2005

On 10/6/05, Matthew Burgess <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Do the similar warnings for binutils and gcc need removing too, or is it
> just glibc that is pretty agnostic with regards to optimisation options?

Just finished all 3.  Here was my experience.  Hardware is PIII with
512 MB RAM, Intel i810 chipset.
glibc: passed tests with -O3 -march=i686 -pipe, didn't like -march=pentium3.
gcc: this was the pickiest.  Passed all tests (except va-arg25) with
-O2 -march=i386 -pipe.  I don't even know if i386 causes any
optimization.  It did not like -march=i686.  Didn't try any other -O
setting.
binutils: passed test with -O2 -march=pentium3 -pipe.  Seems to be the
most resilient to optimization settings for me.  Again, didn't try any
other -O settings.  Would like to try again with -O3 to see what
happens.

Hope that helps some.

Dan