On removing hotplug from LFS

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 13 02:07:50 PDT 2005

Hi folks,

Note this isn't a fully fledged proposal/RFC (yet)!.  I'm trying to get
my head around, and document, the method of device node creation and
module loading preferred by upstream developers.

My work in progress can be seen at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~matthew/udev-new-setup.txt.  I'd like
folks input regarding its clarity, usefulness and accuracy.  There's an
important section missing from it at the moment - that of coldplugging a
modular kernel - but that's simply because I don't yet understand the
pros and cons of the various alternative approaches we can take with
that type of configuration yet.  I'd prefer to avoid mandating an
initramfs if at all possible, but if its the only way we can get 100%
correct results, then I guess it'll have to do!

Thanks,

Matt.