On removing hotplug from LFS

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Oct 13 06:08:27 PDT 2005

I wrote some not very accurate things:

> We do need the new "blacklist" keyword, in order to emulate the old
> "hotplug blacklist" functionality. It is a different question whether
> LFS targets only "single-machine" installations (where blacklists are
> never useful) or also allows to tar up LFS and untar it on a different
> computer.

The LiveCD definitely needs the blacklisting functionality, in order to
be able to distinguish between "8139too vs 8139cp" and "e100 vs
eepro100" modules.

> A replacement for udevstart that walks the entire /sys
> filesystem (including /sys/bus), thus mostly replacing the old hotplug
> initscript, is called udevsynthetize (see below).

Not 100% accurate: udevstart parses udev rules by itself (that's safe),
and udevsynthetize submits messages to udevd for parsing (that's racy).

Also the keywords "binding of the driver to devices" are missing from my
mail.

Another thing: on request, I will post relevant parts of a sample driver
for a simple PCI device (S3 trio 3D/2x video card) here and will do
detailed analysis of its sysfs interaction. Alternatively, I can do that
for radeonfb or any other well-written PCI/AGP framebuffer driver.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov