lib lib32 lib64 in LFS 7 x86_64_multilib

William Zhou armageddonmagic at 163.com
Thu Oct 13 07:55:23 PDT 2005

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/cross-lfs/x86_64-64/

Hi,

I finished this build several days ago and started BLFS.

However, the /lib is actually for lib32 instead of lib64.

I believe the system tends to run in 64 bit. So all the
libraries in BLFS have to go to /lib64.
This is not as easy as it sounds. By specifying --libdir=/usr/lib64 solves
majority of the problem. But there are still plenty of them
which hardcodes the path into the program.
To make this worse, library search is another problem because
most of them searches /usr/lib and /lib. I don't want to sed
all of them. It takes time.

Why does the book use /lib32+/lib(symlink to lib64) instead?

Thanks very much.
William