UTF-8 book updated

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Oct 14 07:14:21 PDT 2005

Hello,

I have done "svn up" in my copy of the UTF-8 book, upgraded to
ncurses-5.5, improved jhalfs compatibility and fixed typos noticed by
Chris Staub (thanks!). The rendered result is at:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~alexander/lfs-book/

Known bug (also in trunk): there is no text that explains the need for
"iocharset" and "codepage" mount options for filesystems with
DOS/Windows origin (vfat, isofs, smbfs, ntfs, cifs).

A patch against DocBook source in trunk is also available:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~alexander/patches/lfs_book-r7003-utf8-1.patch

This book itself is compatible with both UTF-8 and non-UTF-8 locales,
but in UTF-8 locales some deviations from BLFS are needed. See the
bottom of
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~alexander/lfs-book/chapter07/profile.html
for details.

Right now I have no opinion whether this should be merged into trunk.
UTF-8 locale support is pretty much a requirement for a modern Linux
distro, but this adds some packages that absolutely cannot be upgraded
before the corresponding distro does that: groff (we follow Debian's
fork) and grep (RedHat has some patches that will appear only in 2.5.3).
And of course functilnal incompatibility (aka "package compiles but is
unusable in UTF-8 locales") with the current BLFS.

You can also help improving the book by reading the text, building LFS
and asking questions.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov