curious almost circular install

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sat Oct 22 06:53:06 PDT 2005

Greg Schafer wrote:
> The requirement to install Gettext in LFS Chapter 5 is very questionable.
>
> In the beginning it was added solely to satisfy the Ch 6 Glibc build.

And then it is also needed (probably msgfmt only) for HJL Binutils and
Vim :)

But that doesn't invalidate the rest of your message.

I think (but it is absolutely untested) that one can avoid the
gettext-in-ch5 dependency completely without any functionality loss.
Just copy all .po files from the glibc-2.3.5/po directory to some safe
place. After installation of gettext, run msgfmt on them and then
install the resulting .mo files to their proper place.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov