Version 7.0-cross-lfs-20051023-x86_64

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 24 05:13:11 PDT 2005

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Duncan Webb wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just build the boot stages of Version 7.0-cross-lfs-20051023-x86_64 from a
> LFS 6.1 (32-bit) system. I've noticed a few small errors that I would like to
> report.
>
> 5.4. Build Variables
> Following the commands will set LFS_TARGET to i686-pc-linux-gnu, which works
> until building glibc. Changing LFS_TARGET to x86_64-pc-linux-gnu allowed me
> to complete the build.

The book (5.3) says:

| Now you will need to set the target triplet for the target
| architecure. You can do this by running the same command as above,
| just running it on the target machine. If you can't run the command on
| the target machine, you can use the table at the bottom of this page.

  What's the problem ?

> 7.10. Creating the passwd, group, and log Files
> The cat commands are missing ${LFS} so it tries to write to the root.
>
> 7.16. LFS-Bootscripts-3.2.2
> Should include a block to set-up ${LFS}/etc/sysconfig/clock because the boot
> reports an error when running the clock script.

  Thanks, I've addressed these in r7078 although no doubt my wording
about the clock script can be improved.

> One minor points
> A few of the instructions in chapter 6 say something like:
>
> echo "am_cv_func_working_getline=yes" >> config.cache
> CC="${CC} ${BUILD64}" ./configure ...
>
> wouldn't it be better to say:
> echo "am_cv_func_working_getline=yes" > config.cache
> because if the configure has already been run then the cache file should be
> truncated.

  I've assumed that _some_ architectures already write to config.cache in
these cases, but I haven't looked too deeply (the aim is to keep the
text common between the different architectures, so e.g. the
multilib/foo-64.xml will include chunks from common/foo.xml).  Maybe
there is a better way to set it out ? - obviously just '>config.cache'
would do it in all cases where it is needed, but it would look clunky.

Ken