Version 7.0-cross-lfs-20051023-x86_64

Duncan Webb duncan-lfs at linuxowl.com
Mon Oct 24 07:08:30 PDT 2005

Ken Moffat wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Duncan Webb wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just build the boot stages of Version 7.0-cross-lfs-20051023-x86_64
>> from a LFS 6.1 (32-bit) system. I've noticed a few small errors that
>> I would like to report.
>>
>> 5.4. Build Variables
>> Following the commands will set LFS_TARGET to i686-pc-linux-gnu,
>> which works until building glibc. Changing LFS_TARGET to
>> x86_64-pc-linux-gnu allowed me to complete the build.
>

> The book (5.3) says:
>
> | Now you will need to set the target triplet for the target
> | architecure. You can do this by running the same command as above,
> | just running it on the target machine. If you can't run the command
> on | the target machine, you can use the table at the bottom of this
> page.
>
>  What's the problem ?

Sorry, didn't make that too clear, but typing in the commands exactly as
described set my LFS_TARGET to i686-pc-linux-gnu which was incorrect.
The cause was because I was building the stuff on an Athlon64 build only
using 32bit code. I did work it out but it took some time and a lot of
googling.

What would have helped is an example of what they should be set to. I
didn't realise that the table represented the value of LFS_TARGET.

>   One minor points
>
>> A few of the instructions in chapter 6 say something like:
>>
>> echo "am_cv_func_working_getline=yes" >> config.cache
>> CC="${CC} ${BUILD64}" ./configure ...
>>
>> wouldn't it be better to say:
>> echo "am_cv_func_working_getline=yes" > config.cache
>> because if the configure has already been run then the cache file
>> should be truncated.
>>

>  I've assumed that _some_ architectures already write to config.cache
> in these cases, but I haven't looked too deeply (the aim is to keep
> the text common between the different architectures, so e.g. the
> multilib/foo-64.xml will include chunks from common/foo.xml).  Maybe
> there is a better way to set it out ? - obviously just '>config.cache'
> would do it in all cases where it is needed, but it would look clunky.

Wouldn't think that it would make any difference which architecture you
use there shouldn't be a config.cache until either one in initialised as
described or configure has been run once.

> Ken

9.4. Expect-5.43.0
I think the configure line should be:
CC="gcc ${BUILD64}" ./configure --prefix=/tools --with-tcl=/tools/lib \
   --with-tclinclude=$TCLPATH --with-x=no
because the tools have not yet been built to default to 64bit.

10.3. Glibc-20050926
Got an error during make check, did make install and then make check
again, the check had no error after the install, odd behaviour.

Hope this helps

10.5. Binutils-2.16.1
I'm getting there errors which running check, any idea what I should do?
Running /sources/binutils-2.16.1/ld/testsuite/ld-bootstrap/bootstrap.exp ...
FAIL: bootstrap
FAIL: bootstrap with strip
FAIL: bootstrap with --traditional-format
FAIL: bootstrap with --no-keep-memory
FAIL: bootstrap with --relax
Running /sources/binutils-2.16.1/ld/testsuite/ld-cdtest/cdtest.exp ...
FAIL: cdtest
FAIL: cdtest with -Ur

TIA
Duncan