Attemping multilib Cross LFS from Mac OS X

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 25 13:19:08 PDT 2005

Ken Moffat wrote:

>  If you are doing something unusual, it doesn't always do to trust the
> error messages.  Mostly, they are apt, but sometimes the cause of the
> error is not what the person who wrote the message expected.  I think
> OSX used to give difficulties because it was, or is, case insensitive,
> but casual googling suggests there are probably other oddities.

Hmm. Hadn't thought of that one.

>  I hope /tools/include/linux/stddef.h does indeed exist ?

Yep, it's there.

> In which
> case, a part of the build process is confused - the includes for linux
> sysdeps show up in what you posted, but something else somewhere has to
> recognise it is running on linux, or building for linux, to know that
> include/linux is a good place to look.  I'd hope
> --host=ppc64-unknown-linux-gnu would suffice, but I've never tried to
> build from a non-linux host.

IIRC, from my early tests, ppc64-unknown-linux-gnu isn't very well
liked. powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu is working splendidly otherwise
(builds most of the other gnu-tools).

>  Perhaps, try symlinking /tools/include/stddef.h to
> /tools/include/linux/stddef.h (based on
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2005-09/msg00092.html ) ?
> If that helps, the end of the thread hinted that other headers might
> perhaps need the same treatment.

I'll give this a shot.

>  Oh, if you feel a disturbance in the force, that's probably my envy.
> Hrmph. G5, indeed ;-)  Hope it goes well.

Hehe, thanks. Taking advantage of some of my resources here at work. :)

--
JH