Linux-Libc-Headers-2.6.12.0 problem

Duncan Webb duncan-lfs at linuxowl.com
Wed Oct 26 05:06:15 PDT 2005

Andrew Benton wrote:

> Tobias Lieber wrote:
>
>>> I think that there's a small problem with installation of chapter 10
>>> Linux-Libc-Headers-2.6.12.0 installation.
>>>
>>> I creates a the file /usr/include/linux/config.h with the lines:
>>> #error "Compilation aborted. Please read the FAQ for
>>> linux-libc-headers package."
>>> #error "(can be found at
>>> http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/linux-libc-headers/doc/)"
>>>
>>> The FAQ says that most users want to empty this file but in gentoo
>>> and my older LFS 4 build I've this in the config.h
>>> #ifndef _LINUX_CONFIG_H
>>> #define _LINUX_CONFIG_H
>>>
>>> #include <linux/autoconf.h>
>>>
>>> #endif
>>>
>>> This config.h and autoconf.h come from the kernel build.
>>>
>>> Question is what to do, empty or copy these two files from the
>>> kernel build.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Duncan
>>>
>>> BTW only noticed this when building Xorg.
>>>

>> Hi
>> you should copy these files from your kernel-build.
>>

> Bullshit. You should never copy the raw headers from your kernel. You
> should have followed the instructions for installing xorg in BLFS.
> Xorg wouldn't be looking for the kernel headers at all if you'd used
> the command
> sed -i -e "s@^#include <linux/config.h>@/* & */@" \
>    `grep -lr linux/config.h *`

The xorg error really not relevant because if LFS did ">
/usr/include/linux/config.h" after installing the linux-libc-headers
then xorg would not need the sed. What about other packages that may try
including linux/config.h, wouldn't they also need to be patched?

So the cleanest thing would be to do as the FAQ says and empty
linux/config.h.